guix-devel

Re: qtwenengine anybody?

From: mike . rosset
Subject: Re: qtwenengine anybody?
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 09:22:35 -0800

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> I tested again on an Intel HD Graphics 620.
> Everything works for me so far (navigating, smooth scrolling, rendering).
>
> I tested the following:
>
> - https://gnu.org
> - https://ambrevar.xyz (has some CSS that may required hardware acceleration)
> - https://github.com
> - https://youtube.com: playing videos works flawlessly.
> - https://get.webgl.org/: the webgl cube is spinning properly :)

Thanks for testing this. one site that suffers with webkit I noticed is
reddit I would add that to your test sites.

I think I found the issues nouaveau in that the those drivers currently
do not support multi threaded OpenGL which qtwebengine uses. Oddly
though I do not need to set QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL in my
monolithic QT package with qtwebengine. But that package is using the
latest QT 5.14.0 and it's possible it's doing some auto detection and
switching software acceleration on nouveau anyways. I'll have to
investigate this further down the road.

Mike