guix-devel

Re: Bioconductor package flowPeaks license Artistic 1.0?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Bioconductor package flowPeaks license Artistic 1.0?
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 22:40:38 +0100

Hi Tobias,

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 at 21:24, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> > piece of code, try to publish a paper, etc.. Well the
> > Reproducibility
> > of Science crisis.
>
> That is a shame.  And that while other scientists (like you) are
> working hard to make research more ‘open’ and reproducible.

Here 'open' is not enough. ;-)

> However, even if they don't maintain the code they can still
> relicence it with no effort on their part.  We can still hope.

The issue is really to be able to contact the author. And I am not
sure this person is even the copyright holder. (In some country, the
company/institute own the copyright even the code is not written in
office's hours.)

For example, 2 files contains:

<<
* The author of this software is Steven Fortune.  Copyright (c) 1994 by AT&T
* Bell Laboratories.
* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
[...]
* This code was originally written by Stephan Fortune in C code.  I,
Shane O'Sullivan,
* have since modified it, encapsulating it in a C++ class and, fixing
memory leaks and
* adding accessors to the Voronoi Edges.
* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
[...]

The most of the files claim:

<<
* The author of this software is Yongchao Ge.
* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
* purpose without fee is hereby granted, provided that this entire notice
* is included in all copies of any software which is or includes a copy
* or modification of this software and in all copies of the supporting
* documentation for such software.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS BEING PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
* WARRANTY.  IN PARTICULAR, THE AUTHOR DOES NOT MAKE ANY
* REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MERCHANTABILITY
* OF THIS SOFTWARE OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Well, the only mention of the Artistic 1.0 license is these 3 files:
README, DESCRIPTION and vignettes/flowPeaks-guide.Rnw.

Does that mean I am allowed to reuse almost everything and repack in
another repo licensing with a "good" license?

[...]

> If I'm still not making myself clear, I apologise & capitulate.

I got it. Yes it is clear!

> > So I will appeal to FSF/GNU. ;-)
>
> I admire your tenacity.  Good luck!

Before I need to assembling the file. :-)
For example, how many packages in Bioconductor use the Artistic 1.0?

Thank for all your explanation and your time.

All the best,
simon