guix-devel

Re: Bioconductor package flowPeaks license Artistic 1.0?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Bioconductor package flowPeaks license Artistic 1.0?
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 21:24:23 +0100

Zimoun,

zimoun 写道:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 at 18:18, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> wrote:
Thank you for fighting for this package in Guix. I hope upstream
sees the light and Clarifies things.

The issue is that upstream has disappeared, as usual in scientific software. Someone writes a piece of code then publishes a paper and
sometimes the requirement for publication is to be pushed in
mainstream collection of packages (Bioconductor in this case). But the copyright holder does not maintain the code and instead write another piece of code, try to publish a paper, etc.. Well the Reproducibility
of Science crisis.

That is a shame. And that while other scientists (like you) are working hard to make research more ‘open’ and reproducible.

However, even if they don't maintain the code they can still relicence it with no effort on their part. We can still hope.

zimoun 写道:

‘Non-copyleft’ does not mean ‘non-free’.  All packages in Guix
must be free.  The Artistic 1.0 licence is *not free*.[0]

It is not my point.

I think au fond it is.  Because your point was:

Artistic 1.0 is free and non-copyleft when applied to Perl.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This just isn't true, and that's what I wanted to make clear above.

*Perl* is free, only because it is licenced under the GPL. If Perl were licenced only under the Artistic 1.0 licence, it would not be in Guix. I promise.

So Perl is really not relevant to this discussion at all.

If I'm still not making myself clear, I apologise & capitulate. We agree on all important points:

The FSF's legal counsel has decided that the Clarified version
does in fact ‘correct the vagueness of of the Artistic License
1.0’[2].

I understand. And I disagree. So I appeal. :-)

Hehe. Even the FSF agrees that the Clarified version does only the *bare minimum* to not completely suck. They certainly don't recommend it.

Well, I understand you are defending the official GNU position.
And currently Artisitic 1.0 will not be included in GNU Guix because
currently GNU claims that Artistic 1.0 is non-free.
I am fine with that. :-)

Correct. It's only the comparison with Perl that's bogus, not your opinions on the Artistic 1.0 licence itself.

So I will appeal to FSF/GNU. ;-)

I admire your tenacity.  Good luck!

Kind regards,

T G-R