guix-devel

Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in!
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 17:37:57 +0100

Hello!

Congrats, Pierre!  That’s really great news!

Arun Isaac <address@hidden> skribis:

>> 1. Parameterized packages
>>    (Previous discussion:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-05/msg00285.html)
>
> I've been looking for something like this. I want to run a more minimal
> system like I used to with Parabola GNU/Linux. I often find Guix's
> packages to be too heavy and hard to modify without a lot of
> effort. Package inheritance is itself easy to accomplish with Guile code
> but getting the modified package to build successfully is sometimes
> difficult. It would certainly help if Guix had pre-parameterized
> packages that one could modify easily. However, this can enormously
> increase the burden on Guix packagers. However, we can discuss that
> later when we have more specific proposals.

Yes, I’m very much on the same line of thought: it sounds both exciting
from a user viewpoint (colleagues of mine in HPC would love it) and
scary from a maintainer viewpoint (the configuration space could
explode, how do we ensure we ship packages that actually work?).

Let’s see!

>> 2. File search
>>    (Previous discussion:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00236.html)
>
> This feature would be very nice too. Currently, I fall back to one of my
> Parabola GNU/Linux installations, and run pkgfile there to get an
> approximate idea of what Guix package a certain file might be in.

That’d be great to have.

Thanks,
Ludo’.