guix-devel

Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in!
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 23:11:36 +0530

> I'm happy to let your know that my application to the NLNet "Next
> Generation Internet -- Search & Discovery" grant for Guix has been
> accepted!

Great, congratulations! :-)

> 1. Parameterized packages
>    (Previous discussion:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-05/msg00285.html)

I've been looking for something like this. I want to run a more minimal
system like I used to with Parabola GNU/Linux. I often find Guix's
packages to be too heavy and hard to modify without a lot of
effort. Package inheritance is itself easy to accomplish with Guile code
but getting the modified package to build successfully is sometimes
difficult. It would certainly help if Guix had pre-parameterized
packages that one could modify easily. However, this can enormously
increase the burden on Guix packagers. However, we can discuss that
later when we have more specific proposals.

> 2. File search
>    (Previous discussion:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00236.html)

This feature would be very nice too. Currently, I fall back to one of my
Parabola GNU/Linux installations, and run pkgfile there to get an
approximate idea of what Guix package a certain file might be in.