guix-devel

Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 23:30:49 +0200

Svante Signell <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes, but guix build bootstrap-tarballs --system=i586-gnu on GNU/Linux amd64
>> results in:
>> guix build: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'tar' for system
>> 'i586-gnu'
>
> Where to install the bootstrap-binaries: Natively in GNU/Hurd, which already
> hase.g. /bin/tar from the tar package or within Guix on amd64? But installing
> tar to /bin does not find that file, even with setting PATH??

That’s expected.  Guix will not use arbitrary binaries that happen to be
on PATH.  That’s by design.  The bootstrap binaries are at the roots of
the package graph – changes to them would result in the complete graph
to be rebuilt from scratch.

So the binaries have a special role and usually don’t change.  That’s
why the fact that my bootstrap binaries use GCC 5 is not a problem.

> uname -a
> Linux gnu 5.1.2-gnu #1 SMP 1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> guix build bootstrap-tarballs --system=i586-gnu
> guix build: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'tar' for system 'i586-gnu'

You need to cross-build.  x86_64 systems have no i586-gnu persona, so
you can’t use “--system” here.

--
Ricardo