guix-devel

Re: Website translation

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Website translation
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:47:55 +0200

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 04:08:30PM +0200, Jelle Licht wrote:
> Is there a way in which to state that certain translations should only
> be done once, and not change afterwards?

Yes, I agree.  A comment can be added to the POT file warning
translators not to change already translated URLs, which translators
hopefully would adhere to (?).  Since we would use a custom xgettext,
it is trivial to add such a comment to the POT.  When msginit creates
a PO file from the POT file, the comment is kept.

Nonetheless, I wonder how important translated URLs are.  Untranslated
URLs are valid for every language.  Invisible to the user,
guix.gnu.org responds with the right translation.  The disadvantage is
that users who do not speak English do not know directly what to
expect from the URL until they visit it.

Regards,
Florian