guix-devel

Re: Website translation

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Website translation
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 16:08:30 +0200

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> writes:

> [snip]

> We could of course translate the URLs instead, we would then add a
> procedure url->localized-href that calls gettext to return the
> localized URL for a given URL and replace each
>
> (@ (href "/help"))
>
> by
>
> (@ ,(url->localized-href "/help"))
>
> and add --keyword='url->localized-href' to the call to xgettext.  The
> downside is that the logic for nginx would need to look up the
> translation instead of looking up the locale, that the logic for Haunt
> would need to look up the filename in the localized builder for pages,
> and that the translator would need to translate all of "/help",
> "../help", "../../help" etc.
>
> (There needs to be some mapping from the lingua “es” to the locale
> identifier “es_ES.utf8” in the call to setlocale.  Currently the code
> uses linguas like “es_ES” instead of “es”, which may or may not
> complicate the logic for nginx, but this could easily be changed.)

I think it would be important to make sure that these URLs do not change
after they are published for the first time, in order to make sure that
links to them still work at a later point. See [1] for more elaborate
arguments against changing URLs.

Being able to change (translated) URLs while also having the old URLs
redirecting to the new ones would be nice, but this seems like it would
actually be much more challenging to do with our current setup.

Is there a way in which to state that certain translations should only
be done once, and not change afterwards?

Regards,
Jelle

[1]: https://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI