guix-devel

Re: Website translation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Website translation
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 23:13:53 +0200

Hi Florian,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 03:08:28PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> I have implemented a working translation tool.  Sexp-xgettext
>> generates from an SHTML or other Scheme file with marked s-expressions
>> a POT file which can be translated and turned into an MO file from
>> which the code generates a localized HTML builder.  The advantage is
>> that existing SHTML will just have to be marked with G_ and no format
>> string has to be written, although sometimes the SHTML should be
>> adapted to produce a less complicated message in the POT file.  Find
>> attached an example of a marked Scheme file home.scm generating
>> guix-website.pot, which after manual translation generates the
>> attached guix.de_DE.html.

Very clever!

[...]

> Find attached patches that add internationalization support, mark the
> home and about pages for translation and add a sample German
> translation.  Feedback welcome.
>
> To use them, generate an MO file and run Haunt by following the
> instructions in i18n-howto.txt.  I have *not* written a Makefile to
> automate these steps.

It would be great to add the right steps to website/.guix.scm (in
guix-artwork.git).

> Sending these patches took longer because new bugs kept appearing.
> Probably new bugs will show up when marking more files for
> translation.  I will add more markings in the coming days if the
> patches are OK.
>
> I am unsure but I believe the URLs in href links should be marked with
> G_ as well so translators can change them to the URL of the respective
> translation of gnu.org, for example.  I will make these changes later
> if you agree.
>
> If this internationalization is to be deployed, the NGINX server
> offering guix.gnu.org would need to redirect according to
> Accept-Language headers.  I do not know if nginx alone can do this
> properly by now, otherwise there are Lua programs for nginx to handle
> Accept-Language or a custom Guile webserver could be written.

The nginx config is in guix-maintenance.git, but yeah, and I suspect
nginx alone can handle it.  We’ll see!

I haven’t reviewed in detail but the approach LGTM, so I’d be willing to
move forward on this.  Julien, sirgazil, Ricardo: WDYT?

We should make sure existing URLs are preserved.  Do you know if that’s
the case?

Also, I suppose we don’t translate URI paths themselves, right?  That’s
probably OK, at least as a first version.

Thanks for your work!

Ludo’.