guix-devel

Re: Support rsync to help Chinese users to setup mirrors

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Support rsync to help Chinese users to setup mirrors
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 10:52:02 +0200

Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> writes:

>> Would rsync over SSH be sufficient or does it have to be rsyncd on the
>> default rsync port?  (SSH will be easier for me because then I don’t
>> need to apply for another port to be opened at the institute firewall.)
>
> I think SSH will be interfered frequently by the firewall, because many
> people use SSH for anti-circumvention. It's better to use rsyncd.
> Considering there's verification, so the encryption is unnecessary.

Oh pity.  Back then I did in fact use SSH tunnels to get around the
great firewall; VPNs were the primary target back then.

rsyncd is going to take longer as I need to make an application to the
campus IT to let them open the port.  I’ll let you know when it’s ready,
but it can take a little while.

--
Ricardo