guix-devel

Re: Update on 1.0.1

From: Miguel
Subject: Re: Update on 1.0.1
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 14:41:02 +0200

Hi,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden>:
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 01:38:39PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > I’ll create a ‘version-1.0.1’ branch with the aim of releasing the
> > whole thing maybe tomorrow or at least by Tuesday.
> >

> If this does not go through the TP, can we send a download link for a
> newer PO file adapted to current doc/guix.texi?

I agree that it should go through TP[1], nonetheless there is a way to
generate the pot file to merge it and get an updated po file.  From a
fresh checkout of the git tree you only have to follow these steps:

$ guix environment guix
[env]$ ./bootstrap
[env]$ ./configure
[env]$ make doc-pot-update
[env]$ msgmerge /path/to/old/de.po po/doc/guix-manual.pot > /new/de.po

And that /new/de.po file will contain the updated messages for the last
version of the manual.

> Also it would be good if you could make sure
> http://guix.info/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation
> will mention Guix version 1.0.1 instead of telling users to download
> version UNKNOWN, but maybe this only happened because of the 1.0.0
> %base-packages warning added to the manual.

This link, the official one I guess,
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation
contains the correct version.  Is the manual published in guix.info
generated automatically?  Maybe it is something related with the build
process...

Happy hacking!
Miguel

[1] Probably GNU's ftp could be used for that too, as a -pre release.
AFAIK, older pre-releases can be removed if the folder grows up too
quickly:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/FTP-Upload-Standalone-Directives.html