guix-devel

Re: Update on 1.0.1

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Update on 1.0.1
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 15:16:25 +0200

Hello Guix!

AFAICS the main installation-related issues have now been fixed.  Please
build an ISO image of the installer and give it a try in a VM or on the
bare metal!

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Building-the-Installation-Image.html

To try install from the ISO image in a VM, you can do:

  qemu-img create -f qcow2 /tmp/t.img 3G
  OPTS="-m 512 -net user -hda /tmp/t.img -bios $(guix build
ovmf)/share/firmware/ovmf_x64.bin"
  qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -net user -net nic,model=virtio  \
     $OPTS -cdrom /gnu/store/…-image.iso -boot d

(‘-bios’ is for an UEFI install; you can omit it.)

There are 2 remaining issues in the installer that would be nice to fix:

  1. Bug with the WiFi selection dialog boxes:
     <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35620>.  Ideas, Mathieu?

  2. Keymap file issue when restarting(?) the installer:
     <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35690>,
     <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35543>.

#1 may have a simple fix.  #2 less so.  WDYT, Mathieu?

Either way, we should release in the coming days, so if we cannot
address them real soon, I’d argue that we should go ahead, so that
people get all the other installer fixes we’ve worked on.

Thoughts?

Bonus question for Julien: should we do another round of translations
for the bits that have changed here and there in the manual?

Thanks,
Ludo’.