guix-devel

Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:02:05 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

> Konrad, going forward it might be reasonable to keep copies of required
> Python 2 packages in your channel.  We aren’t going to remove Python 2
> packages now, but in the future we may not be able to fix unmaintained
> packages and may have to remove them.

"My channel" doesn't exist (because I haven't yet found the time to
figure out how to set up and manage a channel, although it's been on my
to-do list for a while).

But... how about splitting off *all* of Python 2 and everything that
depends on it into a separate channel, which would then be maintained
by a separate team?

This would remove the Python 2 maintenance burden from the Guix team,
but still allow shared maintenance (expected to be low-effort) of
a coherent distribution of Python 2 packages.

If everybody starts a personal channel of whatever subset of those
packages they require, there's a lot of duplicated effort and no clear
location to turn to for end users. And if parts of Python 2 remain in
Guix but other parts move elsewhere, there's needless friction in
coordinating two projects that will end up having different policies.

Konrad.