guix-devel

Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:29:03 +0100

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I checked 'guix refresh -l python2' and I got a list of the python2-*
>> packages which are leaf packages. I'm not suggesting that we right now
>> get rid of them, but it seems to me something worth keeping an eye on.
>
> Please be careful with "leaf packages". The leaves of my software
> dependency tree are in my home directory, not in Guix. But I depend on
> Guix to supply most of the dependencies of these leaves.
>
> In the case of Python, any package that provides a Python library API
> should not be considered a leaf package.

Yes, in the presence of channels this can be tricky.  However, we are
not committed to supporting third party channels when this results in
problems on our end.  We reserve the freedom to break third party
channels.

Konrad, going forward it might be reasonable to keep copies of required
Python 2 packages in your channel.  We aren’t going to remove Python 2
packages now, but in the future we may not be able to fix unmaintained
packages and may have to remove them.

--
Ricardo