guix-devel

Re: New topic: asking for help

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: New topic: asking for help
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 15:55:12 +0100

Hello,

> * First entry maybe is the homepage as such.
> * Then show the documentation [or: are we here already assuming that
> someone found that?].
> * Then mailing list (dev/help).
> * IRC channel is also quite a help, I would mention that too.
> * There is the debbugs bug tracker
> (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=guix) where you could
> search for problems. It is maybe not the most obvious interface and
> explaining it a bit would be nice.

This ordering looks fine to me.

I would add some emphasis to finding the
documentation and the contact page on the website, but that might be obvious.

I would spilt up showing documentation, and first refer to the
location with the other videos,
then to the manual, the rationale being is that someone who is already
watching a documentation
video might be more interested in documentation videos in the first place.

I guess I would skip the dev list here. I feel it would result in
better distribution of messages. If the
question seems to be dev related, the  either we can redirect the
thread to dev, and most devs will
come across the list of mailing lists on the contact page, and post
there in the first place, so I
guess this would not cause any real concern.

I also believe that the IRC channel is quite important. On thing to
consider here is to mention the
things related to nickname registration and logging in. It is
unfortunate that we were forced to
making registration required, but this is how things are right now.

We might also propose the mumi as the primary issue tracking
interface, and mention debbugs in
case more advanced stuff is needed. No strong opinion here.

Best regards,
g_bor