guix-devel

Re: Video documentation repository

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Video documentation repository
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 20:31:30 +0100

Hello!

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 00:02:20 +0100
> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Great initiative!  I can’t create it myself but I’ve filed a support
>> request: <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?109642> (the Savannah
>> hackers usually respond within a couple of days.)
>
> Thank you for filing the request. There you wrote:
>
>> This repository will *not* contain any video.  Instead, it will
>> contains scripts and tools developed as part of an ongoing Outreachy
>> internship to create internationalized videos presenting Guix.
>
> In the current video-repository we at least save the input binaries
> (i.e speech recordings in several languages for several videos). From
> your comment it sounds like that is not intended for the
> savannah-repos, right?

True.  I mostly wanted to reassure them that this would not be a huge
repo containing only binary files.  So I guess it’s OK to save audio
tracks as long as it doesn’t grow too much.

If/when it happens to grow quickly than expected, we’ll ask the Savannah
folks whether it’s still fine with them.

> If so, we need to somehow externalize those. What would be a reliable
> way of doing so? Uploading to some (which?) server? MediaGoblin? Storing
> in IPFS as we do currently with the output videos for distribution among
> us? Is there any stable IPFS node where we can stick them to?

I’d say we can think about that later if it becomes a problem.

>> I guess we could give Laura access to the repo (that gives access to
>> all the project repos so one has to be cautious, but that’s probably
>> OK.) Thoughts?
>
> I think we gave permissions to all former GSoC/Outreachy students,
> right? So I'm fine with it.

Alright!

Laura, could you please upload the OpenPGP key that you will be using to
sign commits to <https://savannah.gnu.org/users/lsl88>, and then reply
to this message signed with that same key?  (If you need help setting
that up, we can discuss it off-list.)

Please read the ‘HACKING’ file as well.  Technically you’ll have access
to all the Guix repositories, but for now I’d prefer you to restrict
pushes to the video repo (once it has been created, that is :-)).  That
said, you’re of course welcome to contribute to the other repos, but
please email guix-devel or guix-patches beforehand.

Thanks!

Ludo’.