guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] Further steps

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: [outreachy] Further steps
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 15:46:49 -0300

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 26., P, 17:01):
> >
> > Hi!
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Laura,

> > > Don’t worry about that.  The number of contributions is not the primary
> > > metric we use to select an intern.  Communication weighs a lot, and the
> > > proposed timeline is pretty important to us, too.  The timeline won’t
> > > necessarily be followed during the project (as it’s really hard to
> > > predict exact durations), but it is good to spend some time on thinking
> > > about how this big project can be broken up into much smaller, simpler
> > > tasks.  To us it is important to see that this kind of careful thinking
> > > reflected in the proposed timeline.
>
> Also, you can still record contributions after the application, but as Ricardo
> said, the number of contributions is not the primary metric.
I thought that they were really important, so that was why I was
thinking about doing more contributions up to November. I still would
like  to be a contributor even the outcome of Outreachy, as I
mentioned, but if I can apply to Outreachy the better.

> > Sorry for the typos. It was feel.
> > I have just clicked the button, to see the form, and yes, the timeline
> > is the most difficult part of it.
> > I have been reading your discussion in another thread of mails, so I
> > am a little mixed up with that.
> > (I guess it is your discussion, but it confused me a little at least
> > about how to go on).
>
> Please, don't get confused. That one is an open discussion, feel free to join.
> We would like to have a clearer picture about the community expectations
> regarding the project, set up some priorities, and plan some infrastructure
> for
> the work. I would like you to get involved, so that you can also express your
> opinion and expectations, as the outcome of the discussion will influence your
> work if you are chosen. ( It is very undesirable that you work on something
> that
> you don't like,  it kills morale fast. )

Oh, thanks :) I was not mentioning anything there because I did not
want to become an intruder or something like that.
But I have some suggestions. Maybe I could mention them there. As a
user who watches tutorials and as a person who at least suggested
doing video tutorials, even though in that case my proposals were
going probably to end up in YouTube or something like that.

> > Shall we discuss together how to set the timeline?
>
> Yes, that would be nice.
>
> > Shall I propose it?
>
> I would like you to come up with an initial proposal, and then iterate on
> that.
Ok, I have the initial Outreachy project next to me. I will take a
look at everything there, and write down a proposal, during the
following days, WDYT?

> > Do I need to know the editing tools before starting the internship if
> > I am chosen?
>
> I don't think that is necessary, and at the current state of discussion I
> would
> not like to force any tools. Actually I am open to proposals regarding the
> concrete implementation ideas, and the set of tools to use.
I  was asking this because I see the community is concerned about the
freedom, so maybe I come up with a tool and it is not GPL, maybe it
has another license and I don't check that very well, and I do not
want to have kind of trouble, but I could add in the timeline time to
learn tools that I do not know. I use FOSS in general, so that I do
not make a mistake with a tool.
For instance, i knew some LaTeX instead of Texinfo, so I was reading about it.

> > > --
> > > Ricardo
> > >
> > Regards!
> > Laura