guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] Further steps

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: [outreachy] Further steps
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 21:06:08 +0200

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 26., P, 20:47):

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Laura,
> >
> > Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> > okt. 26., P, 17:01):
> > >
> > > Hi!

> > Also, you can still record contributions after the application, but as
> > Ricardo
> > said, the number of contributions is not the primary metric.
> I thought that they were really important, so that was why I was
> thinking about doing more contributions up to November. I still would
> like  to be a contributor even the outcome of Outreachy, as I
> mentioned, but if I can apply to Outreachy the better.
> >
> > > Sorry for the typos. It was feel.
> > > I have just clicked the button, to see the form, and yes, the timeline
> > > is the most difficult part of it.
> > > I have been reading your discussion in another thread of mails, so I
> > > am a little mixed up with that.
> > > (I guess it is your discussion, but it confused me a little at least
> > > about how to go on).
> >
> > Please, don't get confused. That one is an open discussion, feel free to
> > join.
> > We would like to have a clearer picture about the community expectations
> > regarding the project, set up some priorities, and plan some infrastructure
> > for
> > the work. I would like you to get involved, so that you can also express
> > your
> > opinion and expectations, as the outcome of the discussion will influence
> > your
> > work if you are chosen. ( It is very undesirable that you work on something
> > that
> > you don't like,  it kills morale fast. )
>
> Oh, thanks :) I was not mentioning anything there because I did not
> want to become an intruder or something like that.
> But I have some suggestions. Maybe I could mention them there. As a
> user who watches tutorials and as a person who at least suggested
> doing video tutorials, even though in that case my proposals were
> going probably to end up in YouTube or something like that.

You can have a look at the proposed distribution locations at the other
discussion.

> > > Shall we discuss together how to set the timeline?
> >
> > Yes, that would be nice.
> >
> > > Shall I propose it?
> >
> > I would like you to come up with an initial proposal, and then iterate on
> > that.
> Ok, I have the initial Outreachy project next to me. I will take a
> look at everything there, and write down a proposal, during the
> following days, WDYT?

Ok, that would be great.

> > > Do I need to know the editing tools before starting the internship if
> > > I am chosen?
> >
> > I don't think that is necessary, and at the current state of discussion I
> > would
> > not like to force any tools. Actually I am open to proposals regarding the
> > concrete implementation ideas, and the set of tools to use.
> I  was asking this because I see the community is concerned about the
> freedom, so maybe I come up with a tool and it is not GPL, maybe it
> has another license and I don't check that very well, and I do not
> want to have kind of trouble, but I could add in the timeline time to
> learn tools that I do not know. I use FOSS in general, so that I do
> not make a mistake with a tool.
> For instance, i knew some LaTeX instead of Texinfo, so I was reading about it.

Actually free software is not necessarily GPL. You can have a look at
the list of
FSF approved licenses at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html.
Note that there are GPL incompatible free software licences, but
software lincensed
by these is still free software. (For example LaTeX is free software)
As you can see
software freedom and licensing is a quite sophisticated issue in
general. You can
generally trust that software packaged by guix is free.
( We are trying hard to make it so, at least :-) ). If you would like
to use software that
is currently not packaged, we can have a look at the proposed tools to
see if they are free.

> > > Regards!
> > > Laura
> >
> > Best regards,