guix-devel

Re: Come back and graphical installer

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Come back and graphical installer
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:23:55 +0200

Hello Danny!

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> skribis:

> I agree.  I've been meaning to write parted bindings for guile, but
> I got side-tracked with https://github.com/daym/guile-gcc-unit which
> can extract prototypes out of gcc source files (in order to automate
> wrapper generation).  Now I'm motivated to pick it up again.

Fun, and an interesting approach!

In a similar vein, did you read about Matt Wette’s “FFI helper” that
comes with Nyacc?  It shares the same goal of automatic generation of
Guile bindings and apparently it works well enough that Matt has been
able to use it for pretty large and non-trivial libraries.

> Maybe I should just have written the bindings manually - I would have
> been done a long time ago ;-)

Heheh, talk about shaving yaks.  :-)

Personally I’m not entirely sure automatic binding generation is worth
the effort in general, because “good” bindings necessarily require
manual intervention, at least to provide an API that meshes well with
the target language and its conventions.

Parted has a streamlined consistent object-oriented API, so I think it
Shouldn’t Be Hard (ah ha!) to write bindings, with or without automatic
generation tools.

Ludo’.