guix-devel

Re: Mono and .NET Core

From: Adam Van Ymeren
Subject: Re: Mono and .NET Core
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 22:42:23 +0900

I tried to package .NET Core a while ago but didn't produce anything useful. Their GNU/Linux story was rapidly changing at the time.

.NET Core was a pain to package partly because it bootstraps from a binary version of .NET Core similar to Rust. Although it may be possible to bootstrap via Mono I didn't try it and it's definitely not an upstream supported route ;).

Personally I ended up with just sticking to Mono for my C# needs as I found .NET Core didn't integrate as nicely into the GNU/Linux ecosystem.

That being said it would certainly be nice to have packages for it in Guix.