guix-devel

Re: Outreachy internship with Guix

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Outreachy internship with Guix
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 17:20:59 +0200

Hello namrata,

namrata malkani <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 6., Szo, 13:17):
Thank you everyone, for your warm welcome and timely response. I downloaded the key from the download site and proceeded to verify it. But the public key was required so I ran the command to retrieve it:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 3CE464558A84FDC69DB40CFB090B11993D9AEBB5
which alas again returned the error:
keyserver timed out
keyserver recieve failed.

You can try this command without the keyserver argument, like:
 gpg --recv-keys 3CE464558A84FDC69DB40CFB090B11993D9AEBB5
(this will try the default keyserver).

Actually any working keyserver will do just fine, they are synchronized.
I visited https://pgp.mit.edu/ to search the string
3CE464558A84FDC69DB40CFB090B11993D9AEBB5 ( I guessed this must be the string needed to be searched to extract the key)
 but that search returned "no such key found." I decided to proceed with the installations then, and wrote the command as root
 (by sudo -i ), to unpack the tarball in tmp folder:
/# cd /tmp
/# tar -xf guix-binary-0.9.0.x86_64-linux.tar.xz
And this is what it returned:
tar: guix-binary-0.9.0.x86_64-linux.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
I tried the same after saving the guix-binary-0.9.0.x86_64-linux.tar.xz in tmp folder but again the some result. I'm trying googling and
 finding solution to this for now. Any help is most welcomed.

From the error message above it seems, that tar does not find this file. My first guess is that there something wrong with the version number here, the version in the filename should be 0.15.0. Could you check the name of the tarball again?

If after you made sure that you have the correct filename it still does not work, you might also need xz-utils (or similar) installed, so that you can extract the tarball, or you can unxz, then tar -xf, if your tar does not autodetect the compression format.

On 2018-10-05, Björn Höfling wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 16:28:08 +0200
> Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
>> namrata malkani <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
>> 5., P 16:23):
>> > But when I tried to download the .sig file, using the command
>> >
>> > wget
>> > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-binary-0.15.0.system.tar.xz.sig
>> > on my terminal, it returned an error:
>> >
>> > Connecting to alpha.gnu.org
>> > (alpha.gnu.org)|2001:4830:134:3::c|:21... failed: Network is
>> > unreachable.
>
> I checked the download-page and the links there are to the same server
> (alpha.gnu.org). Because you see a "Network unreachable" instead of a
> "file not found", I suppose your network does not permit
> FTP-connections (i.e. port 21 being blocked).

Wild guess here, but might also be an issue in ipv6 routes, you could
try to force ipv4 with:

  wget -4 ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-binary-0.15.0.system.tar.xz.sig

live well,
  vagrant

Best regards,
g_bor