guix-devel

Re: Outreachy internship with Guix

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Outreachy internship with Guix
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 19:36:23 +0200

Hello Namrata,

welcome to Outreachy and Guix!

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 16:28:08 +0200
Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:

> I will look into this and get back to you.
>
> namrata malkani <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
> 5., P 16:23):
>
> > Hello sir
> > I'm an outreachy applicant and would love to contribute GNU guix
> > video documentation project.
> > As a prerequisite, I began installation of guix as additional
> > package manager on top of my linux based system.
> > I downloaded guix-binary-0.15.0.x86_64-linux.tar from
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/download/ and procceeded with the
> > binary installation process as mentioned in
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation.
> >
> > But when I tried to download the .sig file, using the command
> >
> > wget
> > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-binary-0.15.0.system.tar.xz.sig
> > on my terminal, it returned an error:
> >
> > Connecting to alpha.gnu.org
> > (alpha.gnu.org)|2001:4830:134:3::c|:21... failed: Network is
> > unreachable.

I checked the download-page and the links there are to the same server
(alpha.gnu.org). Because you see a "Network unreachable" instead of a
"file not found", I suppose your network does not permit
FTP-connections (i.e. port 21 being blocked).

As Garbor mentioned, the link to the signature is also on the download
page. Here is the direct link for x86_64:

https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-binary-0.15.0.x86_64-linux.tar.xz.sig

Hope that helps,

Björn