guix-devel

Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 14:04:01 +0200

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> Conversely, "Guix CI" is much less widespread, although I suppose many
> developers are familiar with the term.  I personally prefer unique, easy names
> to abbreviations.
>
> - The name "Guix CI" tells developers what it is (continuous integration)
> while
>   "Cuirass" does not.  This is mostly true, however, for almost all
> applications
>   (mpv, firefox, chromium, emacs, <add almost everything here>).
>
> - If we get started with Guix CI and Guix OS, I'm afraid that soon enough we
>   will end up with a bunch Guix FS, Guix IP, Guix CD...

I think “Guix System” is OK.  Most of the time we’ll just say “Guix”, as
is already the case, and when we need to disambiguate (for instance when
addressing bugs), we’ll ask “Are you using Guix System?” or “Are you
using the Guix distro?”, and everything will be fine.  :-)

The motivation for this name change is that “SD” is obscure to most, as
you note, plus it creates confusion when people visit the web site: the
web site has a “GuixSD” logo, but then it talks about features of the
package manager.  Designating the whole tool set as “Guix” will simplify
this, and we can always be more specific when we need to.

For Cuirass, I think “Guix CI” (or “Guix Continuous”?) is good enough.
It remains a tool primarily for Guix developers anyway, and a secondary
tool in the Guix toolbox.

Ludo’.