guix-devel

Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Roadmap for Guix 1.0
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 13:46:13 +0200

> >> ** TODO “GuixSD” renamed to “Guix System”?
>
> Guix System is not good because "system" is a word that is too generic.
>
> What about "Guix OS"?
>
> >> ** TODO “Cuirass” renamed to “Guix CI”?
>
> OK

On the one hand, OS and CI are rather ubiquitous.

On the other hand, I've personally always been wary of excessive use of
abbreviations: newcomers will find documentation and communication cryptic,
while abbreviations proliferate, sometimes out of control.

But I don't think it's the case for Guix OS and even Apple went for "macOS" so I
guess "OS" is pretty safe (much more than "SD" at least).

Conversely, "Guix CI" is much less widespread, although I suppose many
developers are familiar with the term.  I personally prefer unique, easy names
to abbreviations.

- The name "Guix CI" tells developers what it is (continuous integration) while
  "Cuirass" does not.  This is mostly true, however, for almost all applications
  (mpv, firefox, chromium, emacs, <add almost everything here>).

- If we get started with Guix CI and Guix OS, I'm afraid that soon enough we
  will end up with a bunch Guix FS, Guix IP, Guix CD...

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/