guix-devel

Re: Guix on aarch64

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Guix on aarch64
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:09:09 -0400

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 09:57:49AM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> I commented specifically on Leo’s statement about build debugging on
> Cuirass:
>
>     “I don't actually do any build debugging with Berlin yet because I
>      don't know how to use the interface effectively.”
>
> This did not sound like a severe problem with Cuirass to me, but rather
> a problem that could be fixed by adding minor features to Cuirass like
> the display of build logs.  Leo, could you please tell us what missing
> feature in the Cuirass web interface is the most urgent for you to use
> the interface effectively?

My apologies in advance if these features already exist in the Cuirass
web interface! I didn't find them yet.

I mostly use Hydra for two things:

1) I use it to manage large branch re-builds (e.g. core-updates) by
looking at the lists of failed builds for the lastest evaluation of that
particular "jobset" (i.e. Git branch).

Hydra gives a list of tabs like this that are helpful:

Aborted jobs (2)
Newly failing jobs (2)
Newly succeeding jobs (1)
New jobs (29)
Removed jobs (23)
Still failing jobs (2425)
Still succeeding jobs (20470)
Queued jobs (675)
Inputs

I might also compare the evaluation to another evaluation of the same
jobset, or against another jobset (usually master).

The concept of "dependency failures" and their reporting is also really
helpful (i.e "foo was not built because its dependency bar failed").

Also, I use the Hydra web interface to start jobset evaluations and
restart particular package builds, and to restart all builds that were
skipped due to dependency failures.

2) Checking build logs of a particular package to see if a failure or
success is reproducible on the build farm.