guix-devel

Re: Guix on aarch64

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Guix on aarch64
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 14:54:33 -0400

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:13:44PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>>> Regardless, I think we should seriously consider moving the Aarch64
>>> build slave(s) to Hydra for now, until Cuirass is more mature.
>>
>> I agree with your points about why berlin.guixsd.org makes it harder to
>> maintain the aarch64 port. I use Berlin substitutes alongside those of
>> Hydra but I don't actually do any build debugging with Berlin yet
>> because I don't know how to use the interface effectively.
>
> I think our use of Hydra is not sustainable.  It requires regular manual
> intervention by Mark, careful tuning of SQL queries, conscientious
> clean up of old substitutes, and we have not a single person familiar
> with the Perl code.
>
> We do have people working on Cuirass, though.  Let’s add important
> missing features to Cuirass instead of making efforts to keep Hydra on
> life support.

I fail to see how moving the Aarch64 build slaves to Hydra in the short
term would constitute an "effort to keep Hydra on life support", nor how
this would hinder efforts to improve Cuirass.  I agree that we should
retire Hydra when Cuirass matures.

My proposal is not about helping Hydra, but rather about *using* Hydra,
our only sufficiently useful CI system right now, to make our Aarch64
port usable.  It currently isn't.

If anyone believes that I'm mistaken about our Aarch64 port being
unusable, then please help Benjamin Slade install Guix on his Aarch64
system.  I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-08/msg00085.html

       Mark