guix-devel

Re: guix gc: smarter collection & guix.el manual deletion

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: guix gc: smarter collection & guix.el manual deletion
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 21:42:58 +0200

Thanks for mentioning this.  I'm very confused by the documentation however:

‘--gc-keep-outputs[=yes|no]’
     Tell whether the garbage collector (GC) must keep outputs of live
     derivations.

     When set to “yes”, the GC will keep the outputs of any live
     derivation available in the store—the ‘.drv’ files.  The default is
     “no”, meaning that derivation outputs are kept only if they are GC
     roots.  *Note Invoking guix gc::, for more on GC roots.

Specifically this: "derivation outputs are kept only if they are GC roots'".
Would that mean that other live outputs are deleted?!?  I must get this wrong!
:p

That said, I think my `guix-store.el' suggestion still has the following
benefit:
whenever there is a huge build-input in the store for an item that is only
seldom rebuilt, it allows the users to chose for themselves if it's OK to delete
it.

--
Pierre Neidhardt