guix-devel

Re: Customize GuixSD: Use Stock SSH Agent Everywhere!

From: Divan Santana
Subject: Re: Customize GuixSD: Use Stock SSH Agent Everywhere!
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 12:47:20 +0200

Divan Santana <address@hidden> writes:

>> Chris contributed an article showing a neat hack to get ssh-agent
>> running on GNOME in lieu of GNOME Keyring’s custom implementation:
>>

>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/customize-guixsd-use-stock-ssh-agent-everywhere/
>>
>> Enjoy!  And thanks Chris!
>
> Thanks very much Chris. This is really appreciated.
>
> Super useful and just what I was looking for.
>
> These sort of articles are great for new comers like me.
>
> Only... I can't get it to work. lol
>
> When I place this file in my home:
>
> ~/ ᐅ ll .xsession
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin users 91 May 28 21:12 .xsession
> ~/ ᐅ cat .xsession
> #!/run/current-system/profile/bin/bash
>
> # start ssh-agent system wide.
> exec ssh-agent "$@"
>
> The login crashes from slim.
>
> How do I debug it?
>
> slim.log contains nothing useful. Also don't see anything in xorg log.
>
> Removing the file, I can login again.
>
> Bit puzzled.

OK so I figured out what was the issue.

I had to install the packages system wide. Perhaps some i3 or x related
packages? Most of my packages were only installed in my user profile.

Speaking of which, are there tips/advise on advantages/disadvantages of
installing certain packages system wide vs in a user profile? Or
multiple user profiles.
--
Divan