guix-devel

Re: next browser (was: Packaging a free Firefox)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: next browser (was: Packaging a free Firefox)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 11:53:17 +0200

Hi Pierre,

> Hooray, I've managed to run Next Browser on GuixSD!

Excellent!  I’m looking forward to playing with it.

> The main issue is with cffi: it does not find the libraries installed by Guix.
[…]

I don’t understand this.  Should it load any libraries that the user may
have installed?  Or do you only refer to a specific set of libraries
that is known at build time?

> LISP?=sbcl
>
> build-gtk:
>       $(LISP) \
>               --eval '(ql:quickload :cffi)' \
>               --eval '(push (format nil "~a/.guix-profile/lib/" (uiop:getenv
> "HOME")) cffi:*foreign-library-directories*)' \
>     ## Rest is as usual.
>               --load next.asd \
>               --eval '(ql:quickload :next/gtk)' \
>               --eval '(asdf:make :next/gtk)' \
>               --eval '(quit)'

This would not be good, because packages can be installed in different
profiles, not only in the user’s home directory.

--
Ricardo