guix-devel

Re: a GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH / modules puzzle

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: a GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH / modules puzzle
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 19:45:36 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 1.0K bytes:

> Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Here's what's happening now:
> >
> > I took my perl module which is in "pkgs/lang-perl/perl.scm", which contains
> > our basic perl packages,
> > and moved ( + renamed ) them into (core lang-perl perl) in a new directory.
> >
> > If I run GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/user/src/core" package -s mc I get
> > results for query "mc".
> > When I run GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/user/src/core" package --show=perl I
> > get the same message
> > as initially pointed out in the opening post.
>
> I don’t understand what the problem is.  Your description isn’t very
> clear.  If you cannot post a minimal example it is virtually impossible
> for us to help.

I am not sure if I am allowed to point to my git server here. The single
repository
includes no code that is against the Guidelines Guix follows, but there are
repositories
on it which don't and which (currently) are still usable with Guix.

In any case I've decided to move the core packages for now back into another
repository.

If I encounter this problem again, I'll provide more details.

> I’d also like to suggest asking questions on guile-user when you have
> questions about Guile.

Okay, thanks.

> If you have a file “core/lang-perl/perl.scm” and the module is called
> “(core lang-perl perl)” then you should not have “core” itself on
> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH but its parent directory.

In my example (pkgs lang-perl perl) itself had the parent directory "pkgs".
I admit, code examples would've made it more clear..

Since we can point to github.com regularly, I think my private server would
not be considered problematic?