guix-devel

Re: a GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH / modules puzzle

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: a GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH / modules puzzle
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 22:16:53 -0700

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if guile-users / -dev liste is more appropriate. If it is, let
> me know.
>
> I'm currently still using GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH until I got my layout all set up.
> There's an issue that I can't seem to get rid of, I'll try my best to
> describe it now:
>
> I have package definitions in 2 repositories (3 to be precise, +1 WIP repo).
> Both follow
> the exact same layout that can still be understood by Guix and GPP
> (GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH).
>
> Repository 1: /home/user/src/infotropique/ports
> Repository 2: /home/user/src/infotropique/pkgs
>
> The modules are in similar named subfolders, following the layout $REPONAME
> $CATEGORY $NAME NAME.
>
> I only switched to this recently, previously the "CATEGORY NAME NAME" was
> located in the root of
> the reository. Both repos worked this way.
>
> After the transition to the new layout, ports works.
> pkgs however is throwing errors at me for days. I've tried moving all but one
> module
> out of the repo, same error. It was a simple easy, no repo-internal
> dependencies, module.
> The error is always similar to https://ftp.n0.is/pub/pkgs-error.txt
>
> I can not share the actual repo at this moment on this mailinglist, but maybe
> the
> repl message is something that someone could give me a hint, even if it's
> just a
> tiny bit of a "read this manpage" or something like that would help. I've
> tried
> debugging this for days and any help's welcome.

Could this error be coming from the scheme-files procedure in (guix
discovery)?  It looks like that's the only place where fold-right is
invoked in that module, and it seems to match up with the stack trace,
unless I'm misreading it (which is possible).  You might find it useful
to insert some pk statements into that code to try to figure out what is
being evaluated as "unspecified".  My guess, which could be wrong, is
that perhaps scandir* is returning an unspecified value unintentionally
at some point?  Someone with more experience debugging Guile code can
probably provide better advice.

--
Chris