guix-devel

Re: Debugging info unavailability

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Debugging info unavailability
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 22:31:28 +0200

Hi!

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> skribis:

> The ideal situation would be to not be space contrived and to build a cache
> everything or at least following some heuristic such as "every package that
> was requested at least once in the past month". For someone following
> master, I find that the current way substitutes are built is not
> aggressive enough,

All the packages in ‘master’ are evaluated a couple of times a day
roughly; you can see that at <https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/master>.

For x86_64 I think the latency is usually not too bad; sometimes it’s
there’s an increased delay in building the latest packages because
hydra.gnu.org is loaded or something like that.

> and I find often find myself building the world with --fallback.

Maybe that’s because you stumbled upon corrupt items?  I really think
we’re reaching the end of these problems now that we use ‘guix publish
--cache’.

> What good is a substitute server if it doesn't hold the stuff I need
> *now*? :) On the other side, it really makes me want to look at GNUnet,
> which seems like the better long term solution.

Though GNUnet doesn’t solve the fact that one needs a lot of CPU and
storage to build and store all this.  :-)

Ludo’.