guix-devel

Re: Debugging info unavailability

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Debugging info unavailability
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 12:11:54 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Yes, it’s tempting to do it at the build-system level.  However, there
>>> would now be a discrepancy between the actual outputs of the package
>>> derivations and those of the package object: the package object would
>>> declare just one output, but the corresponding derivation would have two
>>> outputs.
>>>

>> Thanks for pointing that! It would be a Bad Thing indeed to introduce a
>> mismatch between the package definition and the corresponding store
>> item...
>>
>> Possibly another Bad Idea, but we could leave things as they are... And
>> run a script which would rewrite (really, at the package definition
>> level) the package outputs to include "debug" for every package built
>> using the gnu/glib-or-gtk build systems? The commit will not be
>> pretty, that would bring us where we want to be? Being Scheme, that'd be
>> somewhat easy.
>
> This sounds better.  I just don’t know if Hydra would have enough space
> for all of these additional outputs.
>
> Can we increase storage space on Hydra already or do we need to wait for
> bayfront to replace the server in Boston?

I don’t think we can have more space easily on hydra.gnu.org.

I’m also unsure how much would be needed.  Currently ‘guix publish’
prepares bakes archives on-demand.  So if you ask for glibc:out, it
returns 404, prepares it, and the next request for glibc:out will
succeed.  But if you ask for glibc:debug, it’s similarly missing
initially.

With this model, ‘guix publish’ gives the impression that not all the
outputs of a given derivation are available at the same time.

We could change ‘guix publish’ to “bake” all the outputs of a derivation
as soon as one if requested—e.g., when you ask for glibc:out, it bakes
not only glibc:out but also glibc:debug.  But then we might have a disk
space issue.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.