Re: moving to gitlab?

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: moving to gitlab?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 06:51:23 -0800

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 08:18:25PM -0800, Aleix Conchillo Flaqu� wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 5:30 PM Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Aleix Conchillo Flaqu� <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Any chance or interest in moving to gitlab? My apologies if this has
> > > been discussed already. Not that I ever contribute anything directly
> > > to Guile (2 patches in 6 years?), but it feels like it would be an
> > > improvement in terms of communication, sending patches, etc. May be it
> > > would even encourage more developers to contribute? Sending patches
> > > over a mailing list shouldn't be a thing anymore. Again, my apologies.

> I realize I might have opened a can of worms, but yes, mainly that
> would be the main motivation. Making it more easy for people to
> contribute. Nowadays people are used to these kind of tools and, in my
> experience, they are really useful.

I don't think that would help. The challenge is that bug-fixing and
patch review isn't really where the maintainers' effort is right now.
Guix and Guile 3 are the major efforts.  We don't need to make it
easier to submit patches.  We need to make it easier to incorporate
patches.

Some projects (like Pixman) have a rule that if a patch receives no
opposition after a few weeks and a couple of pings, you are free to
push it.  I wonder if that would work here? Or would it be too
chaotic?

My two cents,

Mike Gran