Re: moving to gitlab?

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: moving to gitlab?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 10:12:58 +0800

First, I hope Guile can use gitlab.
However, IIRC, RMS has some comments on this, the hosting service must be free, and it shouldn't allow to fork, but branch-based. This is reasonable to protect project, but RMS speaks as a skilled hacker, I have to say it's very good policy in a professional engineers team to be branch-based.
But nowadays, people hope FOSS project be easier to contribute, fork is easier for them.
I accept patches on Gitlab for GNU Artanis.

BTW, that's the main reason I write GNU Artanis, since I'd like to provide a new Savannah to provide modern services and abey FSF ethic. Although it's in a very slow stepping toward to final target...

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> 于 2019年1月23日周三 09:32写道:
Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <address@hidden> writes:

> Any chance or interest in moving to gitlab? My apologies if this has
> been discussed already. Not that I ever contribute anything directly
> to Guile (2 patches in 6 years?), but it feels like it would be an
> improvement in terms of communication, sending patches, etc. May be it
> would even encourage more developers to contribute? Sending patches
> over a mailing list shouldn't be a thing anymore. Again, my apologies.

I can't speak for the coalition, but generally there is a notion that
FSF projects are hosted on infrastructure operated by a charitable
non-profit that has the advancement of Free Software as the goal.

Also, history shows that the place people move to because of concerns
about $PREVIOSU_PLACE will follow suit eventually...

If your point is that the self-hosted infrastructure should have some
way for random poeple to provide in-tool changes, that sounds sensible.