Re: New logo and website design proposal

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: New logo and website design proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:17:20 -0500

On 2015-09-16 03:19, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote:
Beautiful!

Like Chris, I love the demographically agnostic, yet incredibly inviting
drawings.  I also love the overall crisp and modern feel to the whole
site including the proposed new logos.

Fantastic :-)

+1, I really like the design, I find it well done and welcoming except the
following...

I also read on IRC that someone said the drawings were childish.

Some one corrected me. What I mean is that it doesn't look **serious** enough
in the sens that the drawings would fit way better a tutorial about
Guile that targets
children. And I think, it's better to save those drawings that and
come with other
illustrations/photos that are more explicit about each topic.

No worries. That's the way I took it when you said "childish".

There should be a better place between "corporate/megacorp", "chilren
friendly", "academics"
and "startup" designs. Maybe if the toons had a gnu/friendly monster/robot face instead of human faces it will look less "primary school". Like I said
the drawing, I'm wondering whether it's for the correct audience.

Some comments on other webites:

- python.org, djangoproject.com, and rust-lang.org look to too impersonnal/dull

- ruby-lang is simple and impersonnal but I think the logo makes it work great

- kivy.org is really well made

- http://elm-lang.org/ nice, not too dull

Really the design is really well made, no problem with that, I just
want to be sure
that we won't disappoint the main audience and attract a lot of
newsbies which i think
we are not ready for.

If I can vote, I will +0.

I get you point about the illustrations, but I disagree :)

My Idea was to put "newbies" first without leaving out the experts. Maybe with this change we can push ourselves a bit to make the project be ready for people getting started in programming (it is not far from that, I think).

I think that having the "Applications made with guile" visible at the start, and with good software examples, will encourage any kind of person to keep browsing.

However, I'm willing to propose another design if the majority of people agree with you.

I other comments, I think that:

- The header menu should use the same ordering as the guix header menu

+0

- It should have bulllet points (!) something like https://www.rust-lang.org/
  This kind of standard a lot of people do that in their README

+1 if someone provides the appropriate text for me to include it in the design.

- It should have a code snippet

+1

Last but not least, the website is focusing on explaining that Guile is an **extension** language. I don't use it as such and neither do many other,
"it a general programming language with appealing embedding features".

Most people looking for language look for a language to program their car/house,
website, make REST apis, build games, script their system and some to
extend their
software to provide multiple extension language  with the same API.
This is a really
massive feature of Guile and a deserve a full block, but other aspects
of the Guile must
appear in the page. I think it is bad rep to call it "script" language.

Yeah, Chris suggested something about it:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2015-09/msg00017.html

I think it's written nowhere that it's a scheme language following
srfi and RNRS specifications.
Honestly it was an another argument for me to start using Guile,
instead of Racket.

That can be added, yes.

I understand. But I hope that the "Applications using guile" section
will erase any wrong impressions that some people may get after seeing
the illustrations.

This design IMO target better young people, I am not sure that's the image
Guile wants to show at first glance.

Hope this helps,

Amirouche

Thanks for your feedback, Amirouche :)