Re: New logo and website design proposal

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: New logo and website design proposal
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 11:47:30 +0200

On 2015-09-16 03:19, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote:
Beautiful!

Like Chris, I love the demographically agnostic, yet incredibly inviting
drawings.  I also love the overall crisp and modern feel to the whole
site including the proposed new logos.

Fantastic :-)

+1, I really like the design, I find it well done and welcoming except the
following...

I also read on IRC that someone said the drawings were childish.

Some one corrected me. What I mean is that it doesn't look **serious** enough in the sens that the drawings would fit way better a tutorial about Guile that targets children. And I think, it's better to save those drawings that and come with other
illustrations/photos that are more explicit about each topic.

There should be a better place between "corporate/megacorp", "chilren friendly", "academics" and "startup" designs. Maybe if the toons had a gnu/friendly monster/robot face instead of human faces it will look less "primary school". Like I said
the drawing, I'm wondering whether it's for the correct audience.

Some comments on other webites:

- python.org, djangoproject.com, and rust-lang.org look to too impersonnal/dull

- ruby-lang is simple and impersonnal but I think the logo makes it work great

- kivy.org is really well made

- http://elm-lang.org/ nice, not too dull

Really the design is really well made, no problem with that, I just want to be sure that we won't disappoint the main audience and attract a lot of newsbies which i think
we are not ready for.

If I can vote, I will +0.

I other comments, I think that:

- The header menu should use the same ordering as the guix header menu

- It should have bulllet points (!) something like https://www.rust-lang.org/
  This kind of standard a lot of people do that in their README

- It should have a code snippet

Last but not least, the website is focusing on explaining that Guile is an **extension** language. I don't use it as such and neither do many other,
"it a general programming language with appealing embedding features".

Most people looking for language look for a language to program their car/house, website, make REST apis, build games, script their system and some to extend their software to provide multiple extension language with the same API. This is a really massive feature of Guile and a deserve a full block, but other aspects of the Guile must
appear in the page. I think it is bad rep to call it "script" language.

I think it's written nowhere that it's a scheme language following srfi and RNRS specifications. Honestly it was an another argument for me to start using Guile, instead of Racket.

I understand. But I hope that the "Applications using guile" section
will erase any wrong impressions that some people may get after seeing
the illustrations.

This design IMO target better young people, I am not sure that's the image
Guile wants to show at first glance.

Hope this helps,

Amirouche

P. S.: Nala Ginrut, I put your two cents in my pocket, thanks :)

Luis Felipe López Acevedo writes:

Hello list,

As part of the Guile project I imagine, I'd like to propose these visual
modifications for the logo and the website.

Logo
https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/guile-logo-proposal-2015-06-16.png

Website mockup (some rough sketches here)
https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/website-mockup-2015-09-15.png

My intention with this proposal is, hopefully, to modernize the image of
the project a bit and make it more attractive to potential users.

Your comments are very welcomed,

--
Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr