Re: Hi! Interested in GSoC. Feedback on these ideas?

From: nalaginrut
Subject: Re: Hi! Interested in GSoC. Feedback on these ideas?
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:36:29 +0800

> Hi! I'm interested in working on guile as part of the Google Summer of Code.
>
> I'm Paul Raccuglia, a Math/CS student at Haverford College (and
> general freelance hacker). I'm pretty excited by Guile, I think it's a
> cool project. I do a lot of Python coding, and I love interpreted
> languages; Guile seems like a great way to combine the comfort of
> interpreted languages with the general badassery of C.
>
>  I've been talking with a friend who contributes to this project, and
> we came up with some exciting ideas for working on Guile over the
> summer.
>
> Currently I am thinking about:
>
> - A package manager (in the vein of apt-get)
> I know this is one that's come up a bit. I was thinking of writing a
> small web interface to browse packages, an aptitude style command-line
> method for downloading, verifying the hashes, checking dependencies,
> and then install the package(s) and an uninstall function as well. I
> saw the proposal of working with dorodango; I might look at it, but
> from what I saw of the code base, I thought it would make sense to try
> to write a GUILE specific package-manager.

I like this. And I like the idea about GUILE specific package-manager.
Maybe you can learn something interesting from Nix, here is an
introduction from Nix website:
"Nix is a purely functional package manager. This means that it treats
packages like values in purely functional programming languages such as
Haskell — they are built by functions that don’t have side-effects, and
they never change after they have been built."
http://nixos.org/nix/

> - AOT Compiler: write an interface to GCC
> I think this would be really cool. A good plan would be to use GCC,
> because it's already pretty sophisticated and handles lots of
> architectures. I would start by writing a scheme interface to GCC, and
> then writing the compiler in scheme.
>
> I noticed a relevant (but now dead) project to write a GCC scheme
> compiler : http://gna.org/projects/gsc  ; they started in '05 and died
> by '06, but I think it would help me think through the process to look
> at what other people did.

Well~I like this too~Actually I'm interested in GUILE in the embedded
device.So I'm looking for a good solution which could support nice
efficient for GUILE to run on embedded device.
The VM&bytecode maybe a good solution. But I'd like to see a GUILE
compiler which compile some code to binary directly(if it's possible).
I've tried Gambit-C, it's great. Can we do something alike for GUILE?

--
GNU Powered it
GPL Protected it

HFG - NalaGinrut

--hacker key--
v4sw7CUSMhw6ln6pr8OSFck4ma9u8MLSOFw3WDXGm7g/l8Li6e7t4TNGSb8AGORTDLMen6g6RASZOGCHPa28s1MIr4p-x
 hackerkey.com
---end key---