Re: Hi! Interested in GSoC. Feedback on these ideas?

From: nalaginrut
Subject: Re: Hi! Interested in GSoC. Feedback on these ideas?
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:12:57 +0800

> Hello,
>
> > There is one _very_ serious problem with using GCC to compile Scheme, or
> > at least there was the last time I researched this issue: tail calls.
>
> I might be wrong about this, but I thought that GCC supported multiple
> calling conventions, with the user telling GCC which one to use
> (cdecl, fastcall, possibly others). If so, it must have some way to
> represent that in its intermediate representations. We might be able
> to add our own calling convention.
>
> I also know that GCC has an --optimize-sibling-calls argument, which
> will make it do something similar to at least some regular C calls.
> I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe we could arrange for whatever
> code transformation implements this to be run on every Scheme call.
>
> Noah

I'm reading the paper given by Mark. Though I confused with this "call
convention" problem, I thought the point maybe that we can hardly get a
optimized result all by GCC. But if we arrange it manually or restrict
it to certain call convention except cdecl, it's not perfect for
GCC?(But I don't think we need perfect) According to the paper, some
scheme compiler provided "tail call" based on a modified standard C
compiler. I think it's similar to arrange/restrict solution.
I'm not sure if my understanding is correct. Anyway, I'll finish reading
this paper.

--
GNU Powered it
GPL Protected it

HFG - NalaGinrut

--hacker key--
v4sw7CUSMhw6ln6pr8OSFck4ma9u8MLSOFw3WDXGm7g/l8Li6e7t4TNGSb8AGORTDLMen6g6RASZOGCHPa28s1MIr4p-x
 hackerkey.com
---end key---