Re: PEG Patches

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: PEG Patches
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 19:06:07 +0100

On Sun 06 Mar 2011 06:25, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> Attached is a series of patches I've made for the wip-mlucy branch. It
> splits the PEG code into several little modules which go in
> module/ice-9/peg/. The original peg source file becomes very little.
> At the end it finally loses its big eval-when wrapper.

Cool!  These cleanups are great.

However... when you added the files, you did not add them to
Makefile.am, so they don't get built.  I went back to add them, but they
don't compile, and it's because of the circularity we have discussed in
other threads.

I think the solution is to confront the circularity directly.  It exists
because the PEG s-exp grammar also deals with the string grammar, which
needs an already-build PEG parser.

Let's break it instead into layers without cycles: removing the string
grammar from the s-exp code generator.  If we want a layer with both, we
build it on top of the two lower layers.

What do you think?

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/