Re: bdw-gc includes in libguile.h

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: bdw-gc includes in libguile.h
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 19:06:55 +0100

Hello,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we made a mistake in exposing bdw-gc.h to libguile.h users.
> gc.h is quite scrupulous to not include it, but smob.h, inline.h
> (sometimes), and pthread-threads.h pull it in.

<libguile/bdw-gc.h> is intentionally pulled because our public headers
use macros and inlines from <gc/gc.h>.

> Besides the modularity concerns that lead us to need to add bdw-gc libs
> and cflags to Guile's libs and cflags, there is an acute problem, and
> that is that we enable pthread redirects -- so users of libguile get
> pthread_create et al re-#defined.

Yes, that’s intended.

> I think that in 2.2 we should not expose libgc interfaces in libguile,

That would be great, but then ‘scm_cell’, ‘SCM_NEWSMOB’, etc. would
need to do a function call, which we don’t want.  Even if we did want
it, the change would break the ABI.

> and that in 2.0 we should disable pthread redirects.

Why?

We rely on pthread redirects internally and if users use pthread, then
they need it too, I suppose.

A meta-comment: can we agree to take more time to discuss this sort of
things?  I’ll try to be responsive, and the earth won’t stop spinning if
the fix waits a couple of days.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.