Re: proposal: enhance and rename guile-tools

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: proposal: enhance and rename guile-tools
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:10:00 +0000

On 21 March 2011 12:16, Barry Fishman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Mon 21 Mar 2011 00:16, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>> FWIW I’m happy with the verbose name and I fear the joke wouldn’t be to
>>> everyone’s taste.  I’d also be happy with a shorter name, though.
>>
>> OK.  Anyone have any other good short names?

I wouldn't normally reply from work, but I'd like to stick an oar in
while the discussion's hot...

I rather like `guile' :-)

Seriously, in the mainline case where guile-tools executes a script,
it boils down to just:

(exit (apply (module-ref (resolve-module (list 'scripts
(string->symbol s)) #:ensure #f) 'main) (cdr args)))

I don't think we need a 198 line script to do that, and I think it
would be good for the main guile executable to have this function,
i.e. "apply a named procedure, from a module that can be found in the
load path, to the remaining command line args".

Regarding the other 190 or so lines currently in guile-tools - I'm
sure they have some value, but I don't see why their domain should be
limited to the code in scripts/*.  This could evolve into a more
general tool for extracting and presenting meta-information about
Guile modules.

Regards,
       Neil

PS. Re "guido" I had a similar response as Ludo - I think that would
be perceived by many people as a bit odd.