proposal: enhance and rename guile-tools

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: proposal: enhance and rename guile-tools
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:36:25 +0100

Hello all,

Like many of you, I am enamored of the "git style" of command line
interfaces: "git add this", "git commit that", etc.

Guile has guile-tools, which, though not well documented, does support
this.  "guile-tools compile foo" loads the `(scripts compile)' module,
and punts argument processing out to it.

But guile-tools is really a verbose name, and it doesn't read well.  I
propose renaming it to "guile do", spelled "guido".  As in, "guido
compile foo".

It has the nice mnemonic value, and it's also a name in some places, so
it has a pleasant subject-verb-object when you say it: "Guido, compile
my-file.scm."  "Waiter, bring the wind list."

Then if we get a CPAN, it will add guido commands by defining (scripts
...) modules.  "guido update".  "guido install".  "guido upgrade".  And
so on.

We'll have to improve the default help that guile-tools gives, of
course.

What think ye?  Of course we'd keep around the "guile-tools" binary
for some years yet.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/