Re: scm_{to,from}_locale_string

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: scm_{to,from}_locale_string
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:12:11 +0100

Evening,

On Thu 17 Mar 2011 19:38, Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> So, if have a CGI script where the stdout could have one
> a couple of different encodings based on a web client's language
> preference settings, but, where the CGI program is running in a "C"
> or "en_US.utf8" locale, this might count.

The thing is that we need to be giving the C library strings encoded in
the current locale, not the locale of any particular port, because
that's how library functions will decode the strings internally -- take
the regexec case, for example, recently fixed.

I think that if the CGI script wants to read or write in a particular
locale, either you set the LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE vars, do a setlocale in the
Guile script, or set the encoding on a port.  But that's port encodings,
not something related to scm_{to/from}_locale_string, I don't think...

Of course, in the CGI context, the encoding of any _environment
variables_ is another thorny question, but not one that should depend on
port encodings.

Regards,

Andy
--