Re: scm_{to,from}_locale_string

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: scm_{to,from}_locale_string
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:38:12 -0700 (PDT)

> From:Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I'm looking at changing to use the helper "locale_charset()"
> function
> from libunistring in the scm_to_locale_string and scm_from_locale_string
> functions.  It seems like that's more correct than snarfing through the
> current input/output ports.
>
> Likewise I'll just use the scm_i_get_conversion_strategy for the
> handler.
>
> Please let me know if this is the wrong thing to do.

I'm trying to imagine a case where this is wrong.

So, if have a CGI script where the stdout could have one
a couple of different encodings based on a web client's language
preference settings, but, where the CGI program is running in a "C"
or "en_US.utf8" locale, this might count.

But presumably, any snarfing would have been done before
the CGI program reset its stdout locale before displaying its
output web content.

Would that violate your presuppositions?

-Mike