Re: Bug in Guile's Posix Networking

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Bug in Guile's Posix Networking
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:55:35 -0500

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> wrote:
> What platforms have sin_len in the generic sockaddr structure?  The one I've
> always seen is sa_len, and that's consistent with sa_family in terms of field
> name prefixes.
>
> sockaddr         -> sa_
> sockaddr_in      -> sin_
> sockaddr_in6     -> sin6_
> sockaddr_storage -> ss_
>
> I suspect you'd do fine if you ditched the test for sockaddr.sin_len and
> tested either sockaddr_in.sin_len or sockaddr.sa_len.  (And I'd expect an OS
> to be consistent as to whether the _len field exists for each of the various
> socket address structures.)

OS X, which I use, has a somewhat weird field-naming situation. The
generic sockaddr structure has sa_len, but sockaddr_in has a sin_len
field. The code I was fixing is creating a sockaddr_in, so in order to
use the sa_len field I would have had to cast a sockaddr_in to a
sockaddr, and it just seemed cleaner to use the sin_len field. It's no
big deal either way, though - this would affect probably 10 or fewer
lines of code no matter what.

Noah