Bug in Guile's Posix Networking

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Bug in Guile's Posix Networking
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 01:28:07 -0500

Hello all,

I think there's a bug in Guile's Posix networking capabilities. I
first noticed it a few days ago when I couldn't get the example web
server to work on my system (Mac OS X 10.6). I was getting an error
from the bind command saying "can't assign requested address". I
assumed it was a system configuration problem until I discovered that
an equivalent Python program could bind a socket without trouble.

The full story is at
http://serverfault.com/questions/231941/why-cant-i-bind-to-127-0-0-1-on-mac-os-x
(I know the Python program listed is not quite identical to the Scheme
one, but I tried it with an actually identical Scheme program and
still got the same error.) Interestingly enough, I was able to bind a
socket in Guile if I specified INADDR_ANY as its address instead of
127.0.0.1.

I hope to work on this soon, but I thought I'd ask on this list if
anyone has an idea what might be causing this.

Thanks,
Noah