Re: guile support in gdb

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile support in gdb
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 23:35:19 +0200

Hi,

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> We were recently wondering (buried in a thread on the gdb-patches list)
> whether the guile support in gdb actually works.  Does anybody use it
> regularly?
>
> If it doesn't work, I'd like to remove it.

I just tried, and here’s what I got:

(gdb) set language scheme
(gdb) bt

[...]

#15 0x00007ffff5c22453 in internal_readline (text="scheme@(guile-user)> ", inp=
frame.c:1742: internal-error: get_frame_pc: Assertion `frame->next != NULL'
failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n)

TEXT, which is a Scheme object, was successfully printed, but then
things went wrong.  :-)

Actually, I had made a few changes to reinstate (!) Guile support and
make some of the basics work a couple of years ago, but that was for
Guile 1.8.

Now the situation with 2.0 is different: as a Guile user I rarely need
to debug with gdb (more Scheme, less C!), and as a Guile developer I
often end up using ad hoc solutions.

Besides, I second Andy’s proposal to have Guile as an extension language
for gdb.

Thanks,
Ludo’.