Re: Elisp flet construct

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Elisp flet construct
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:35:24 -0400

On Jul 21, 2009, at 09:10, Daniel Kraft wrote:
Just a little addition to the subject of extensions: I'd very much like to add lexical-let and lexical-let* as another set of extensions, because this gives the possibility to use "fast" lexical variables without the dynamic-scoping-fluid-pain.

Currently, I did implement some control constructs that could be done as macros still in the compiler directly (like prog1 or dolist) because there I can make use of lexical helper variables; lexical- let would allow using this feature directly from elisp (and implementing these constructs equivalently as macros).

So, what do you think about this extension?

Is this modeled on the lexical-let work being done for Emacs (probably to be merged for Emacs 24)? If so, I wouldn't call it an extension so much as being compatible in advance. :-) And if not, you should probably take a look at that work and make sure yours is compatible.

It definitely sounds like a good idea to me.

Ken