Re: Elisp flet construct

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Elisp flet construct
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:10:09 +0200

Daniel Kraft wrote:
in the %nil thread a suggestion was brought up to support the `flet' construct (and `flet*' as well, if we choose to do so at all, I favour) in Guile's upcoming elisp implementation that behaves just like a let for function-slot bindings, enabling dynamic scoping for them.

It is no "official" elisp construct, but according to what I heard there, can be useful at some times (I guess the use is mainly to locally alter bindings of standard functions for some code executed without a risk of permanently messing things up). So I don't know how you regard addition of "extensions"...?

Just a little addition to the subject of extensions: I'd very much like to add lexical-let and lexical-let* as another set of extensions, because this gives the possibility to use "fast" lexical variables without the dynamic-scoping-fluid-pain.

Currently, I did implement some control constructs that could be done as macros still in the compiler directly (like prog1 or dolist) because there I can make use of lexical helper variables; lexical-let would allow using this feature directly from elisp (and implementing these constructs equivalently as macros).

So, what do you think about this extension?

Yours,
Daniel